This recipe's spicy-sweet flavor is a perfect combination with the full-flavored duck. Great for summer barbeque.
6 duck legs
3 cups orange juice concentrate
1 1/2 cups teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1 1/4 cups apple cider vinegar
1/4 up red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup sweet yellow onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup dried tart cherries
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons light molasses
1/2 cup water
2 dried ancho chilies, stemmed and seeded
2 garlic cloves minced
1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
salt and pepper, to taste
- Marinate duck legs in orange juice and teriyaki sauce for an hour prior to cooking
- Combine all glaze ingredients in heavy saucepan. Bring to boil, then immediately reduce heat to low.
- Cover and let simmer until cherries and chilies become tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Put simmered mixture into blender to puree. Return to sauce pan and continue on low heat until sauce thickens into a glaze.
- Taste glaze for amount of chile heat desired. For less spicy glaze, add extra ground cloves.
PREPARING THE LEGS
- Preheat oven to 325º.
- Prick duck leg skin in several places. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Spray oven-safe pan with cooking spray and place duck legs in pan, skin-side up. Bake for one hour at 325º.
- Baste duck legs with glaze and finish on gril on in broiler for 5 minutes for crispier skin. Serve duck legs with extra glaze for dipping.